The top cop of the state has branded the actions of a group of women in south-east Queensland at the core of a coronavirus scare as ‘deceitful’ and ‘illegal’ with a third woman being prosecuted.
Investigators have also reported that one of the women refuses to tell health authorities where they were, hampering attempts to track contacts.
It comes as three new cases of coronavirus are confirmed by Queensland, but none are related to the cases reported Wednesday involving women.
Recent cases of today include a man in his 20s who had just returned from the USA and was still in the hotel quarantine.
The other two were a couple eating at The Apollo Restaurant in the Potts Point suburb of Sydney where a cluster has formed.
Health authorities say the pair had already been self-isolated.
The total number of cases in Queensland now stands at 1082, with 11 now active while five are in hospital.
More than 6800 tests were conducted on Wednesday including nearly a thousand in the south of Logan and Brisbane.
Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk thanked the authorities for the way they handled this most recent threat.
“Can I commend from the outset both Health and the police for the rapid response they’ve been deploying in the last 24 hours. This is exactly the scenario we’ve been planning and the rapid response is exceptional,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
A third woman who flew to Melbourne at the same time as two 19-year-olds who tested positive has now been identified by police.
The third women are now now in isolation but have screened COVID-19 negative so far.
Officers are sure other people are not involved.
“We have identified those and we have identified everyone who was at the party in Victoria with our Victorian colleagues and have high confidence around that,” Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollchewski said.
“So our focus now is working with those young women to identify everywhere that they have been since they have come back into Queensland.”
It is known that health authorities have tracked about 1000 people around Logan, Brisbane and Ipswich who visited various restaurants, shops and other venues.
Yet one of the women now refuses to comply with authorities.
“The second confirmed case has not wanted to let us know where she has been so therefore that is why I am spreading that message that if anyone is unwell, to please get tested because I don’t know where that second case has been,” Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young said.
“All venues have been contacted and anyone who has gone to those venues that we believe is a close contact, we have contacted them.
“I am very about the second individual who has not been cooperative and has not shared with us where she has been, so we have not been able to contact those venues and we will continue to work with that individual and hopefully get information.”
Police have confirmed the woman could face even further charges for refusing to to give details.