Sydney’s protest Black Lives Matter won’t go forward after the Supreme Court ruled in favour of NSW Police, banning the demonstration from going forward.
The demonstration was to be attended by thousands of demonstrators on Tuesday but this afternoon ‘s announcement means that participants may face criminal charges for blocking traffic or ignoring health orders brought in to prevent coronavirus spread.
The legal team defending the activists from Black Lives Matter officially applied for a stay in motion as it prepares to lodge an appeal later today.
Barrister Felicity Graham said the organisers would be able to negotiate with the police to move the demonstration to another location.
Organizers are eager to move the event behind the NSW Parliament to the area, which authorities have said will also be refused earlier.
Earlier this week, event organiser Paul Silva, whose Aboriginal uncle David Dungay Jr. died in custody in 2015, said the pandemic was being used as “an excuse for silencing us.”
“These protests are being singled out by the NSW police and the government and that’s because they see the support from all different nationalities, people of all different walks of life, and they know our message is definitely getting across,” he told reporters.
“They’re trying to silence us while using the pandemic as an excuse, but Westfield shopping centres, pubs and clubs are still chock-a-block. We put in substantial steps to make sure everyone is safe at these protests.
“Personally, I’d say they’re safer than your local pub because they’re conducted outdoors so there’s space for social distancing.
“We hand out hand sanitiser and masks for people that don’t have them.”
Last week, a group of Indigenous doctors called for Tuesday’s protest to be dropped, fearing the health consequences of a coronavirus outbreak gathering during the second wave is too risky.