Horrific stories continue to surface from the aged care sector of Victoria after coronavirus has devastated homes throughout the state.
St Basil’s in the Fawkner suburb of North Melbourne was the hardest affected with hundreds of people evacuated from their homes.
At the moment there are 124 cases related to the home. Leaks have emerged today that some evacuated residents were “malnourished and dehydrated” while others arrived in hospital semi-conscious and in soiled clothes.
The first 14 residents moved out late last night had very low levels of oxygen, fever and coronavirus pneumonia, according to the report, obtained by the Herald Sun.
There are 928 cases linked to Victoria’s aged care outbreaks. Four of the eight deaths that took place on Friday were also related to aged care.
Members of the Australian Defense Force helped evacuate 80 residents from St Basil earlier this week after nine people lost their lives to coronavirus from home.
Angela Vukovic, whose mother was in St Basil’s on Wednesday before she was removed from the home last week, told 7.30 that her mum was one of the first to test positive.
“I have been crying for days. We know COVID is basically a killer for the elderly,” Ms Vukovic told the ABC program.
“She was one of the first few that tested positive. My mother was at the end of the building. No-one could hear her. She was screaming her lungs out for someone to come and help her.”
Ms Vukovic finally managed to get on to the building with a COVID specialist and her 81-year-old mum Chrysanthi was taken to hospital.
Ms Vukovic said the specialist characterised the home of the elderly as a “war zone.”