Queensland has recorded three more cases of coronavirus overnight, but two young patients who did not quarantine after returning from Melbourne are not believed to be linked to them.
The cases unveiled Thursday were a patient who tested positively in hotel quarantine and a couple who visited a Sydney restaurant that was linked to a cluster.
After returning to Brisbane on July 21, it comes a day after the women, both aged 19, were revealed as positive.A woman, 22, who is one of the pair’s sisters, also tested positive.
It has prompted increasing contact tracing attempts throughout the south-east of the state, with hundreds of people being checked for COVID-19.
“That is the best scenario we could have hoped for,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.
One of Thursday’s new cases is a guy in his 20s who came back from the US.
The pair visited Potts Point’s The Apollo restaurant and decided to separate themselves at home upon their return to Queensland, despite not being deemed a hotspot by the suburb, until checking for positive.
“I thank them for that decision,” Health Minister Steven Miles said.
“It has kept Queenslanders safe.”
The restaurant’s employees and other diners tested positive for the infection.
The two teenagers who had been diagnosed with COVID were identified as Olivia Winnie Muranga and Diana Lasu.
Queensland Health officials say the pair was in the group for eight days before testing positive.