Queensland will close its border with all of New South Wales and the ACT on Saturday from 1:00am.
The 68-year-old Queensland woman has been infected with the virus in the past 24 hours and the causes of the infection are still being examined by authorities.
Also added to the State’s estimate of 1,088 incidents were two historical incidents.
The declaration of the hotspot means that anybody who moves from NSW or the capital of the nation would soon be barred from entering the Sunshine State.
Queenslanders returning after travelling there will be sent for 14 days at their own expense to compulsory hotel quarantine.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she was increasingly concerned about community transmission rates in southern states.
“We cannot risk a second wave. We have to act decisively,” she said.
“We have to put Queenslanders first.”
The move means New South Wales, and the ACT will be joining Victoria on the list of announced coronavirus hotspots by Queensland.
Ms Palaszczuk said her decision had been affected by a number of people who had infringed the border criteria of the state by lying to the authorities about where they were.
“This is the right decision for Queensland,” she said.
“We cannot put Queenslanders at risk — it is too important.”
The Premier said losing tourism from the southern states would be difficult, but it was a minimal drawback compared to the economic pain expected from a second wave.
“It is going to be tough for some of our small businesses in some of those communities,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“But what would be more catastrophic is to take Queensland backwards.
“My job is to protect Queenslanders Health and to protect our economy and our lifestyle.”