NSW has reported a new case of COVID-19, confirmed by health officials.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the infected man was a 45-year-old van driver whose job includes driving the airline crew to and from the airport.
“We do still have to do, if you like, checks just to make sure it is a valid positive case. But the indication is, at this stage, that it is,” Mr Hazzard said.
The man had symptoms on Saturday, and he was checked on Tuesday. The positive result came back at 7 a.m. on Wednesday morning.
Confirmation of a new locally acquired coronavirus infection means that no new infection has been broken for two weeks.
On December 2, a woman who worked in a hotel residence returned to travellers who had been infected. Genome sequencing showed that she was potentially contaminated by a US aircrew who had stayed at the hotel.
The case prompted a desperate search to find potential community contacts. Luckily, however, there were no more infections related to the hotel situation.