The Victorian Premier indicated that after returning a positive COVID-19 test, a lot of people are going to work.
On Thursday, Premier Daniel Andrews announced that in the past 24 hours 723 new cases of the virus have been identified, raising the state’s total to nearly 10,000.
The deadly disease has left 13 more people dead.
Andrews said that when doorknocked by health authorities and the ADF, several individuals who had returned positive test results were still unable to be found.
More worried, he said some relatives had told authorities that the Victorians who had been infected had gone to work.
“I’m obliged to point out there were a number of people who were not home and they will be referred to Victoria Police,” the premier said.
“There were also a number of people who, when there was a discussion with a family member, pointed out the person – a positive coronavirus case – was at work.”
The PM confirmed if this continued to happen, restrictions would remain past August.
“If people continue to go to work when they have got symptoms, or go to work when between getting their test results, or they have got the virus and they are not home when the ADF doorknock them because they are at work – that will mean restrictions have to stay on,” he said.
Figures from Thursday have more than doubled after 295 cases from Wednesday.
Victoria has had 13 more deaths in another horrific record for the State, raising the death toll of the State to 105.
Starting midnight on Sunday, face coverages will become compulsory for all of Victoria, including all metropolitan areas.
So the local government districts of Colac-Otway, Greater Geelong, Surf Coast, Moorabool, Golden Plains so Queenscliffe Borough will no longer be able to see residents or have guests at home from midnight on Thursday.