Authorities in Inner Mongolia’s Chinese region have sealed a village off after a resident died of bubonic pestilence.
The centuries-old disease has been blamed for the deadliest pandemic in human history.
The death was announced on Sunday to health authorities in the city of Baotou and on Thursday the victim was confirmed to be a patient with bubonic plague.
According to a statement from the Baotou Municipal Health Commission the patient died of circulatory system failure.
This neglected to note how the patient contracted the plague.
To prevent the spread of the disease, authorities sealed off the village of Suji Xincun, where the dead patient had lived, and ordered the homes to be disinfected daily.
The statement said all villagers had tested negative for the disease so far.
Nine similar contacts and the patient’s 26 secondary contacts were quarantined and screened negative, the commission said.
Damao Banner, the district where the village is located, was put on the Level 3 plague prevention alert, the second-lowest in a four-level network, until the end of this year.
This is the second-and first-case of bubonic plague confirmed in China this year.
The previous case was discovered in July in Bayannur, another town in Inner Mongolia, which resulted in another level 3 warning being released and several tourist spots being closed down.